Singer Instruments is looking for a Software Engineer with Computer Science Bias to join our agile Research and Development team. You’ll become an intrinsic part of our in-house SWE team who are responsible for building features on our existing product portfolio, proposing and developing new features for our pipeline products and carrying out research into new analytical tools and algorithms. The role is progressive with currently planned projects spanning a number of years and varying in nature but suffice to say, we build awesome laboratory robots! You’ll be joining at the beginning of an exciting new program of product development where customer value comes first and foremost, Agile PM style. That means you’ll be testing prototypes with scientists, getting fast feedback and iterating quickly.
We don’t expect you to know everything and we fully believe in the Research bit of R&D! We have in-house scientists who can help with the jargon so don’t let that put you off. This is a varied, project-based Software role, taking robotics features and projects from customer-derived concept to market. To aid this you’ll have a chance to put forward blue skies ideas and visit customer labs to discover how microbiology is carried out and how Singers robots could solve a multitude of global problems. We have a long, hard-won reputation for quality and take reliability and UX/UI testing seriously, so we’ll expect you to have a good level of unit, system, and integration testing capability. Projects include robotics, automation, motion control, IOT, GUI design, and more. You’ll get exposure to bioinformatics. There will be travel involved to collaboration partners around the UK and possibly abroad. Lots of opportunities for training and growth within the business.
The work you do will help scientists in laboratories in over 50 countries accelerate their research efforts on global challenges such as cures for cancer and solutions for renewable energies.
- 5+ years commercial experience as a software engineer with a CS bias
- Solid experience in, C, C# & C++ or other Low-level language experience
- Experience developing software features based on customer requirements
- Object orientated skills are essential, as well as knowledge of software best practices
- Experience solving multifactorial problems
- Experience with GIT, BitBucket and Agile PM tools such as Jira or Liquid planner is
- Robust testing (unit, integration) experience
- Willing to undertake training to improve skill set
- Strong interest in technology, innovation and robotics
- Strong problem-solving skills and willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- Experience with robotics or consumer products
- Experience in board-level driver development
- Familiarity with microprocessor architectures and peripherals
- Experience in working in an Agile project management environment
- Experience using Google productivity suite is an advantage.
- Experience with containerisation (e.g. Docker)
A minimum 2:1 degree in Software Development, Computer Science or similar software engineering discipline required.
As a Software Engineer at Singer Instruments, your responsibilities are likely to include:
- Developing software features based on customer requirements
- Maintaining an existing code base
- Researching new technologies
- Ensure code is well tested by creating appropriate unit tests
- Produce clean, well-commented code
- Planning new features and changes to a product
- Demonstrating new ideas and features to stakeholders
- Coach team members through buddy-buddy learning
- Attending conferences and events related to a product or sector
- Inspiring and enthusing colleagues and users of the product
- Learning about users and a product’s market
£30,000 – 40,000 p.a.
Profit Share for Nerds
Equity for Nerds
-(Staff ownership scheme)
30 days holiday
including Bank Holidays
on length of service
The Lab, Minehead, Somerset, UK
Full-time (preferred) / Contract / Consultant
We are only accepting job applications directly through the website. Strictly no job agencies please.
A bit about us…
Singer Instruments, headquartered in Somerset on the edge of Exmoor, develop laboratory automation to accelerate research for scientists who want to make the world a better place. The company supports a global customer base, across a spectrum of interests such as healthcare, antibiotics, biofuels, renewable fabrics, and plant-based alternatives to meat.
As an employee-owned company, Singer puts their people first. Singer Instruments are very proud to have won the Somerset Business Awards Employer of the Year. By supporting our teams and investing in our people, we get the best results for our customers.
Staff are highly motivated by their global scientific impact and a shared value for company culture. Table football in the staff room, boules in the Japanese garden, and table tennis and barbecues on the deck form part of our working ethos. The atmosphere is relaxed, attitudes are positive, and nobody wears a suit. Work in a rapidly growing business should be fun, so Singer Instruments take any opportunity possible to celebrate success. Did somebody say BBQ?!
Robotics / Mechatronics Engineer
Do you tinker with Arduinos? Is your desk a patchwork of PCB,s, solder burns, 3D prints, and odd nuts and bolts? Are SolidWorks, MatLab, Unity and ROS more like a good night in, than tools? Do you mention prototype, MVO and IDE in every other sentence? Awesome, come build robots with us and lets make Science faster and easier!!